How much do you know about the work of TLAP?
For many, the holiday season causes stress, anxiety, and overindulgence in alcohol and drugs. Attorneys are particularly prone to these problems, which too often lead to ethics rules violations and grievances. The Texas Lawyer’s Assistance Program (TLAP) can help you, so how much do you know about the work of this vital organization?
1. When was TLAP created?
2. With what types of issues does TLAP assist? (select all that apply)
A. Substance abuse
B. Wellness strategies
C. Depression and anxiety
D. Cognitive decline and aging issues
E. Assisting with finding housing
F. Internet and pornography addictions
G. Suicide prevention
H. Recommendation of therapists
3. Who is eligible to utilize TLAP’s services?
A. Texas attorneys
B. Texas judges
C. Texas law students
D. All of the above
E. A and B
F. A and C
4. During what hours can TLAP be contacted?
A. 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Saturday
B. 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, seven days a week
C. 7:00 am to Midnight, seven days a week
D. 24 hours a day, seven days a week
5. How many trained professionals does TLAP employ to respond to inquiries?
6. What percentage of TLAP’s trained professionals are also attorneys?
7. True or false? When you contact TLAP, a TLAP professional can immediately connect you with a licensed therapist if you so choose.
8. True or false? Any information that you provide to TLAP is confidential under state law.
9. How many consultations did TLAP handle during the 2021-22 Bar Year?
10. Where can you find TLAP’s website?
11. What is the function of the Sheeran-Crowley Trust?
A. To provide additional funding for TLAP marketing and outreach efforts
B. To provide specialized training for TLAP’s professional staff
C. To provide financial help for those cannot afford treatment for substance use, depression, and other mental health issues
D. All of the above
2(all except E)
If you or a colleague need help, please reach out to TLAP by calling 800-343-TLAP (8527) or texting TLAP to 555888. You may save a life.
Previous Question January 2023
Next Question November 2022